Tuesday, December 11, 2012

“Sister Cities”- A Bridge Between Manasquan and Charleston




 “If I get a chance to help, I’m going,” I said to Peter as we watched the news reports of Hurricane Sandy. Maybe it was that we had just left family in NJ or that I lived in NJ as a kid, vacationing in Ocean City and Avalon in the summers, or that I went through Hugo. Whatever it was, I felt compelled to go and be an encouragement. Not long after, a mission trip, organized by Holy Cross was posted on Facebook.  At the last minute, with the volunteer list full, I emailed Chris Donovan, the organizer, on a slim chance, and God opened the door for me to go.  Thanks to the Body, I had prayers as well as work gear in tow.
The outpouring of our churches and community was great.   As the Johnny Come Lately, I wasn’t able to contribute much to the effort, but to show up .  So many hands, other than me, did the big preparations.  Still, I offered up my prayer, “Lord, I if can do one thing, use me to encourage someone.”
You see, I know, by the often cruel circumstances of life what it is to desperately need encouragement…when there is no control, when help is delayed, and when you’re made vulnerable.  I know the power of a loving person showing up out of the blue with a gift card or an offer to pack your stuff.  Oh, what a touch and a sincere prayer can do to lift a broken spirit!
So, in the small town of Manasquan, NJ, ravaged by a flood, God blew the doors open for 18 volunteers to minister in the name of Jesus. Where the signs all over read, “Jersey Strong”, people allowed us to tear down the walls of their homes and the walls of their hearts. 
The young woman, who touched my heart the most, was named Renata.  Every day, I observed how she put her elderly neighbor, Marie’s needs first, while she tried to put the pieces of her own life together.  She put on a strong face for us saying, “Don’t worry about me.  Take care of her first.”  But something told me she had a great need that could not be overlooked, no matter how things appeared.  The message in the air was saying, “There’s just not enough to go around.” 
But my God always has enough for His children.  In two days, our small team, lovingly tore the mold infested walls and floors out of Marie’s house, completing our task.  We had to stay focused in the midst of great need and trust God would care for the others.  All the while we prayed for Renata and the chance to touch her heart with the love of Jesus. So before we left, we found her presented her with a box containing assorted things, a purse, slippers, a cute hat, and a book on how to read the Bible.  Then Bruce, our leader, who just has a way with people, gave her a family Bible, “For your home when it’s all new again.” Then the best part, we were able to lay hands on her, bless her and petition Father God to protect and provide for her. 
Renata later told us that no one had ever prayed for her like that and that there was something “special” about us.  She even said she wanted to look for a church family.   She was touched by the love of Jesus; it was felt. 
We were only in Manasquan for three full days, but many have said, “Were we there a month?”  Jesus’ love is so amazing!  I went, asking to encourage, and as He gave me the chance me to do so, it was me who came home the most encouraged.  “Oh, how He loves us!”

No comments:

Post a Comment